The SHM Foundation is fully committed to the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The GDPR applies to all organisations that process data about their employees, as well as others, e.g. customers and clients. It sets out principles which should be followed by those who process data and gives rights to those whose data is being processed.
To this end, The SHM Foundation endorses and adheres fully to observing the eight individual rights set out under the GDPR, which are the following:
- The right to be informed.
- The right of access.
- The right to rectification.
- The right to erasure.
- The right to restrict processing.
- The right to data portability.
- The right to object.
- Rights in relation to automated decision-making and profiling.
These rights must be observed at all times when processing or using personal information. Therefore, through appropriate management and strict application of criteria and controls, the organisation will:
- Observe fully the conditions regarding having a lawful basis to process personal information
- Meet its legal obligations to specify the purposes for which information is used
- Collect and process appropriate information only to the extent that it is necessary to fulfil operational needs or to comply with any legal requirements
- Ensure the information held is accurate and up to date
- Ensure that the information is held for no longer than is necessary
- Ensure that the rights of people about whom information is held can be fully exercised under the GDPR (i.e. the right to be informed that processing is being undertaken, to access personal information on request; to prevent processing in certain circumstances and to correct, rectify, block or erase information that is regarded as wrong information)
- Take appropriate technical and organisational security measures to safeguard personal information and ensure that personal information is not transferred outside the EU, to third countries or international organisations without an adequate level of protection
The SHM Foundation website is owned by The SHM Foundation. The SHM Foundation believes you have a right to privacy on the web, and we work to protect your security online as vigorously as possible. The SHM Foundation has developed the following policy to help you understand how your personal information will be treated, as you engage with us both on and off-line. The SHM Foundation's policy complies with the GDPR. We are committed to using information fairly, storing information securely, making sure it is accurate, and keeping it up to date. Further details on the GDPR can be found on the Information Commissioner's website: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/.
This policy applies to all pages hosted on this site and to all other websites owned by The SHM Foundation, except where specifically mentioned. It does not apply to other organisations to which we may be linked to and whose privacy policies may differ.
The SHM Foundation may amend this policy from time to time. If The SHM Foundation makes any substantial changes in the way your personal information is used, we will make that information available by posting a notice on the site.
The Data Officer,
The SHM Foundation,
20-22 Bedford Row,
or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. What information does The SHM Foundation collect?
The SHM Foundation only collects information which you give to us via email, the various data capture forms on our websites, or information voluntarily given to us via telephone or postal mail. The SHM Foundation may also collect and analyse information about the way you use our websites and communications we may send to you – for example if The SHM Foundation sends a communication which enables you to "click through" to a certain page of a website.
For more information about cookies visit: www.allaboutcookies.org.
2. How is your information used?
The SHM Foundation may use the information gathered for the following purposes:
- To keep you up to date on the latest announcements or other information related to The SHM Foundation that we think you may like to hear about and to send communications that may be of interest to you. The SHM Foundation may send this information electronically or otherwise, if you have opted-in to receive information from us.
- To personalise your experience on The SHM Foundation websites.
- To analyse and improve the services offered on The SHM Foundation websites e.g. to provide you with the most user friendly navigation experience.
- To track usage. For "service administration" purposes which means that The SHM Foundation may contact you for reasons related to any services you may have signed up for e.g. to notify you that a particular service may be suspended for maintenance.
3. Does The SHM Foundation share my information?
By providing personal information you are deemed to consent to your personal information being shared within The SHM Foundation and being shared outside of The SHM Foundation in the following circumstances:
- Where The SHM Foundation needs to share your information to provide the service you have requested (such as sending posters or leaflets).
- Where The SHM Foundation needs to send your information to companies who work on behalf of The SHM Foundation to provide a service to you. We will only provide those companies the information they need to deliver the service, and they are prohibited from using that information for any other purpose.
- Where The SHM Foundation is required to disclose your personal information by law in urgent circumstances, to protect personal safety, the public or our website(s).
4. How secure is the information you give to The SHM Foundation?
Data collected on The SHM Foundation websites is stored in controlled servers with limited access. Your information may be stored and processed in the United Kingdom, Europe or where The SHM Foundation or its partners are located.
5. How can you access, correct or delete your data?
At your request The SHM Foundation will give you all details of personal information held by The SHM Foundation, once identity has been satisfied. Incorrect information will be deleted or amended promptly.
The SHM Foundation can only accept these requests if sent by email to:
or by fax to: 020 7831 7061;
or by post to: The Data Officer,
The SHM Foundation,
20-22 Bedford Row,
specifying on which SHM Foundation owned website your personal information has been registered. Once the request has been received, The SHM Foundation will take further steps to confirm identity before releasing data. The SHM Foundation will endeavour to respond to requests within 28 working days unless there are exceptional circumstances when we will let you know what is happening with your request.
6. How can you opt out of receiving communications from The SHM Foundation?
The SHM Foundation will send you communications if you have given us permission to do so. If you do not wish to receive communications from The SHM Foundation, please send an email asking for your contact information to be removed from The SHM Foundation databases to: email@example.com.
7. How long will The SHM Foundation keep your personal information?
The SHM Foundation will hold your personal information on our systems as long as is necessary for the relevant service you have requested, or until you inform us that you wish your information to be removed from our databases (see point 6 above).
This policy was updated in May 2023.
Have a challenge you think we could help with? A project you'd like us to collaborate on?
Just want to say hi? Reach out - we love meeting new people